Five siblings inherit a blanket. They lie beneath it, together, to stay warm.
          But arms and legs stick out and the siblings squabble and tug. They do
          not realize that they would all fit if they just moved closer together.

This is the Blanket Story. Poets, artists, and musicians have responded to this tale in creative ways. All poems appear here, our ONLINE POETRY SHOWCASE. Visit our main page to find out more about the project.

Rebecca Chamaa

The Youngest 


You were sixteen months old
when I arrived.
Forcing you out of first place
in mother’s lap.
Your boo-boos
and bottle often had to wait
for me to be shifted from one
arm to the other
or diaper changed.
I don’t recall those days
But you never forgot them;
the intruder.
When I was four and you five,
You would wake me from my nap
and tell me it was okay to play.
Our sitter would get angry,
but only at me.
Later you would tell on me
for every infraction of house rules
causing me to get grounded
over and over again.
Mother’s little spy.
Mother’s little helper.
Mother’s good little boy.
I was silent and younger
and had no clever means
to enter the war against you.
Even as an adult I watch you
never knowing when
you’ll decide to launch an attack
that leaves me
with splinters of sibling rivalry
protruding from my baby soft skin.