Five siblings inherit a blanket. They lie beneath it, together, to stay warm.
          But arms and legs stick out and the siblings squabble and tug. They do
          not realize that they would all fit if they just moved closer together.

This is the Blanket Story. Poets, artists, and musicians have responded to this tale in creative ways. All poems appear here, our ONLINE POETRY SHOWCASE. Visit our main page to find out more about the project.

Roslyn Tanner Evans

If Only

If only I were alone,
If only I had the bed to myself,
If only just one night,
If only, If only.

If only I were comfortable,
If only I were covered,
If only I were warm,
If only, If only.

If only my sisters hadn't heard me,
If only my brothers hadn't left,
If only I were not alone,
If only, If only.

If only they came back,
If only I said I was sorry,
If only we slept closer,
If only, If only.